New Moon October 2018
The New Moon on Monday, October 8, 2018 falls at 15° Libra at 8:46 am PT.
Now, you might be wondering:
- What is a new moon and why do I care?
- Why is From Molly With Love telling me about it?
- How can I make the most of this new moon?
New moons mark the beginning of the 28-day lunar cycle. This is important because the moon’s positioning and phases literally help move the oceans – the rising and lowering of the tides (ebbs and flows). Given that humans are made up of 80% water, it’s only fair to say that the moon has some effect on human beings as well.
The New Moon in October 2018 is the start of the birthing cycle of the current lunar phase. During this time, the New Moon nurtures and brings to life new, vibrant and magical energies. Think of the cycle of the moon as life and death. As it completes its cycle, typically towards the end of a month, also referred to as its death, it is then reborn, resulting in a New Moon once again.
Now, at From Molly With Love, we have a self-trained astrologer and a witch on staff, so we’re no strangers to the esoteric side of life. That’s why we created our line of chakra sprays and our White Sage Smudge Spray.
The New Moon is a prime time to plant the seeds of what we want to manifest into our lives. Our subconscious minds also like the dark of the New Moon, so it’s a great time to get into touch with your inner goddess. So let’s get into what October 2018’s New Moon means and how we can work with it:
New Moon: Monday, October 8, 2018 – 15° Libra at 8:46 am PT
This New Moon for October 2018 sits in Libra, which is a beautiful, balanced sign. Libras are social, in touch with their feelings and have a knack for relationships. Note if you have your Sun, Rising, or Moon sign in Libra, especially within 2° of 15°, you may feel the effects more. (Want to find your sun, moon, and rising sign for free? Head over to astro.com).
The October 8 New Moon conjunct Ceres and quincunx Neptune will focus our attention on the divine feminine. You may be more in touch with your emotions during this time – and more attention can be placed upon the women in all of our lives. Perhaps we might see activism or social justice around women’s rights during this time (Kavanaugh, I’m looking at you).
However, this New Moon is also square Pluto, which would intensify any conflict or drama you’re currently in. Get in touch with your subconscious mind through meditating or journaling to help solve these problems.
The New Moon in Libra is also a good time to revisit your health. Is your diet and exercise on point? Are you living a balanced life (a very Libra attribute)? Are you taking time for self-care? Are you beating yourself up inside your mind? Now would be a good time to take stock and give yourself a little tune up.
New Moon in Libra 2018 Ritual
To harness the energies of this New Moon, you could perform a little ritual or ceremony. Here’s one we suggest:
1. Set up an altar space. If you don’t have one, you could use an empty table. On that altar, gather your accoutrements. We recommend including crystals (Amethyst, Clear Quartz, Citrine, and Moonstone do well with the new moon). We of course recommend including our White Sage Smudge Spray and/or smudge bundle to clear the energy of the space. Candles are nice to include, but aren’t 100% necessary. Make sure you have a notebook and pen at hand. And add anything else that speaks to you or that symbolizes something you want to call into your life.
BONUS POINTS if you actually do this under the New Moon.
2. First, play some soothing meditation music or whatever you’d like to listen to in the background (for some, that may be silence).
3. Next, clear the energy of your space by spritzing the White Sage Smudge Spray twice (or lighting a sage bundle) and thinking in your mind, “I am cleansing old and stagnant energy in this space, so fresh and new energies can emerge.”
4. If you have candles, go ahead and light them. Then make an intention in your mind to send healing & loving energy to both the candles and crystals.
5. Sit in silence for a few moments. I like to meditate for 5 – 10 minutes here, just to make sure I am grounded.
6. Now it’s writing time! At the top of your page write something like “With ease, I am ready to receive these desires or something better for my highest good and the highest good of all involved.” Then, write down all of your desires, big and small. This will be especially effective if you focus on what can happen within the next 28-day lunar cycle. When you write, write in such a way that your desires have already come to fruition. For example: “I am grateful for meeting my soulmate under this lunar cycle.” Write for at least 5 – 10 minutes.
Upon completion of your list, recite the following: “Thank you for these blessings now and in the future. LET IT BE SO!“
6. Take your note sheets, fold them up, place them under your crystals on your altar or somewhere special and revisit them at the next New Moon.